FACS...huh? Did you mean to say Facts?


Nope that's not a mistake of my Minnesotan accent, I did say FACS. It stands for Family and Consumer Sciences and it’s not only what I teach, its what I do and love! Some also refer to it as FCS,  and thus I can understand the confusion; I cannot count how many times I have said to strangers (friends, family, neighbors, etc.) "You remember Home Ec.? It’s not to say I don’t appreciate reminiscing about the old name of my profession. I have the upmost appreciation in fact for Home Economics. Esepcially women like Ellen Swallow Richards to whom gets all the credit for this important topic of education. I simply want people to recognize the new name (since the 90’s I hear….)

            I feel refreshed when I speak with people who know what I’m talking about as soon as I mention “FACS”. Just the other night for example, I was speaking with a guy who was not only familiar with the subject, but also enthusiastic about it and its importance. He said “FACS was only the class in high school where I learned anything real.” I look forward to the day where the majority of people I talk to have this same reaction. Until then I will keep fighting for this profession that I love!



AAFCS (The American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences) partnered with similar organizations a couple years ago to develop a brand logo for Family and Consumer Sciences, I think this is a step in the right direction and I try to use this logo on all of my FACS life details! You can use it too, here us a link to the AAFCS branding kit: http://www.aafcs.org/aboutus/fcsbrand.asp


Comments