4th Year! New Year, New Things!

A new school year means a lot of new adventures! This is my 4th year at Milaca and I love it even more (if that's possible)!

This year has an interesting change, and adjustments are being made accordingly to my lessons, sanity, and classroom organization.

Normally I teach a two semester year with 7 period days. My students range from 7th to 12th grade. 7th and 8th graders have a quarter class requirement with me and 9th-12th can choose from Foods and Nutrition, Life Smarts, Parenting/Child Development, Housing/Interior Design, and Exploring FACS. As a one person department you can imagine how many preps that looks like, and how often I don't actually teach all those courses. Last year I brought a proposal to the school board for an additional FACS teacher with huge support from my administrators. Unfortunenltly it was not approved BUT I was approved to teach an overload for this school year. So back to normal years, in the past we teach five periods of 7, with one prep and one duty (such as study hall, detention, or lunch room supervision). This year I am teaching 6 periods! So far I love it despite being a very busy bunny! I have 2 sections of Foods and Nutrition, and it's so nice to have that twice-love that class!

In addition to my long day I am an FCCLA advisor and my group has really grown this year! My past officers have taken on strong leadership roles to help mentor all the newbies! We are going to add fun new activities to keep everyone interested including Family, Career, Community, and Leadership related goals for each week. And by we I mean my officers are coming up with these and telling the group. More about this later…


Some cool new/updated things I have added to my room to make all the preps run smoothly:

Agenda for the week in my foods lab!

"utensils" to write with - never lose a sharpie again!

Lettered cabinets - I can now say things like: "grab the markers from cabinet C" 

Weekly agenda in my classroom

Heavy duty magnets for hanging
posters related to our lessons 

No name cabinet -
color coded to match my agenda!

Color coded file cabinets

"Swear Jar" for potty mouths!

This was a free bag but it broke -
now its a poster!

Map behind my desk -
Marked with the places Ive been and places I want to go!

More "utensils" for students to borrow

Reminder part of my board -
color coding matches my agenda,
no name spots, and hand in baskets!

Comments