Smart Snacks - New School Rules

No more sugary snacks in school- did you know?! 



Of course this doesn't mean the kids can't bring sugary pop and treats into the building...it really only stops the school from adding to the problem. Schools can no longer sell anything high in sugar, fat or calories! This is great for student health but it, like all new things will take time to make adjustments. In my classroom for example, until this year Kool-Aid was sold as a fundraiser during foods labs. For $.50 kids could purchase a packet and make a sugary treat for their group to enjoy while they cooked and ate. This year I had to find a low calorie substitute – crystal light! It’s just as easy to make but no sugar!

Students, from what I can tell have noticed the difference in their vending machines and la-carte options. To educate them on these changes – and why they are necessary I used a little gem created by Learning ZoneXpress: 





I created this worksheet to go along with is and instructed my students to work with their lab group to read the handout and answer the questions – we used them for an excellent discussion after!



Comments