Creating an Engaged FCCLA

I would love to have an FCCLA class, I think this would make advising FCCLA so much easier! But, in my one person, overloaded department, I don't see this happening anytime soon! So, I have come up with a few tricks that have made my extra curricular FCCLA more engaging for the students, and less stressful for me.

Technology helps a lot! Our school is one-to-one with iPads, and we use the free app/website Edmodo to connect with students, this site is similar in set up to Facebook, and allows us as a school to basically go paperless. I use Edmodo to communicate with my FCCLA on a regular basis. I post our meeting agendas for anyone who has missed a meeting or needs an extra copy. I also send out reminders for deadlines and STAR event planning, AND the best part is, I have opened an additional line of communication for my members!

I can also use Edmodo to create folders of materials for students such as STAR event materials.

Agendas: Each time we have a meeting my chapter president or I come up with an agenda to follow for the meeting. This is very simple in that we use the same format every time and add new upcoming dates or events. 

Goals: On each agenda we have added something new- goals! Each week or so my group is assigned a goal to complete related to FCCLA. They have goals related to their families, careers they want, the community, leadership and of course America (citizenship). For example we just had a family goal to make a meal and share it with your family.


Organization: an organized FCCLA is a happy FCCLA.  I use a couple things in my room that my students have access to that help keep them and me organized and less stressed. My builtin broad is my members go to place for all meeting agendas and any permission slips or upcoming events. I also have a file cabinet that students can access.  I actually require my chapter secretary and president to use this for each meeting to get or our sign in sheet, gavel, and anything else we need for each meeting. They must also put all this away at the end of meetings. The secretary files the agenda and sign in sheet in that cabinet and adds the new agenda to the bulletin board.  

Comments

  1. What a cool idea. Did your FCCLA kids sign in and tell what they did for " FCS Day and Dining In?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did Joyce - I learned from the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment