Chili cook-off!

Chili recipes are often fought over, and a little friendly competition never hurt anyone! My students love to have cook-offs against the other groups in class one of their favorites is the chili cook-off!

I usually do this lab during my protein unit, and I also use at as a means of teaching recipe development, and creativity. 

I start by showing them a short presentation on the history of chili and a the common ingredients used in most recipes.

Then I instruct them to invent their own recipes. I provide each group with a list of common items that they can choose five of that I will buy for them, and then I give them a list of items they can have unlimited amounts of such as herbs, spices, and hot sauces. 

They have one class period to create their recipe and get their grocery list approved by me. They also need to make their kitchen and table setting appealing, so during this work time they can also claim items they need for this such as table cloths, nice dishes and center pieces. I also allow them to bring items from home for this part. 


On the second day of this lab students are instructed to make and prepare as much as possible, as time is limited on the third (judging) day. This is usually when they do things such as brown meat and make cornbread. 




The third and final day of this lab is the cook-off judging! I give the students about 20 Min's to prep and warm their chili, set their tables, and clean up their kitchens. Then the judges arrive, I invite all the teachers, and a couple misc. staff and administrators who have prep or are available during that period to come and judge. The judges are given a list of all the kitchens and instructed to go to each kitchen and judge them based on the taste of their chili, the appearance of their kitchen, and creativity of their recipes. 

My prizes vary from extra credit, extra food at the next lab, free Kool-aid for the next lab or the opportunity to come as "Student judge" for the next cook-off! 








Comments