Cookie Grading!

I always think my job is an adventure – but on 7th and 8th grade cookie grading days this is especially true!

Teaching the art of the perfectly baked cookie can be an entertaining challenge at the middle school level. I love to watch the lesson unfold from baking lecture, to cookie making demonstration to hands on lab assessment. 

For both my 7th and 8th graders I assign a cookie baking lab (like a good FACS teacher would) My 7th graders get the basics on baking and then make Chocolate Chip Cookies. 8th graders build on previous knowledge and make the slightly more challenging Snickerdoodles.

For each lab I require each lab group to submit one of their many cookies to me to be graded food network style.  They must bring it to me a kitchen color labled plate and as a group tell me about their cookie and answer questions while I sample it. I then give them a score out of 5 based on taste, appearance, and following the recipe/directions.






In most cases I award 4’s and 5’s but at least 1 in every class gets a much lower score. 




I think my favorite part is watching them choose which cookie is “best” and should be graded by me - I have lots of little parties in my head while this happens!

Comments