The Empathy Belly - Classic.

Mrs. Nelson, are you pregnant? This is what kids in the hall ask when I wear the empathy belly! I have to struggle to contain my giggles!
Each time I teach pregnancy I use the empathy belly. It's such a great way to really bring the kids into the lesson. 

I wear the belly as an intro because I find it really makes them want to do it! I wear it during passing time as they enter my room and during the first part of the lesson as I tell them my expectations of the empathy belly.

I start with the purpose of the belly - to help men and young women understand the process of pregnancy.

I then discuss the assignment I expect of them. Everyone is required to try on the empathy belly for at least a walk around the classroom, or my foods lab if they are self conscious.

Then I offer longer opportunities of wear for bonus points. They can sign up to wear it for a half day, full day or even a weekend. For this option they must fill out a reflection and I award the bonus points based on how well they reflect on the experience.

I send a warning email out to staff including a note that the empathy belly is designed to press on the bladder and may cause a need for frequent bathroom breaks.


I even allow them to wear it on the weekend they take the real care baby home!

Comments