HomeStyler Interior Design App

Who wants a great free app to use in their interior design class?

I do! That's why I love Homestyler Interior Design. The free floor/room planning app. It is very user friendly and ideal for hands-on learners.

My classrooms are one-to-one with iPads. If this is not the case for you there is also a website!

I start this unit for my 7th and 9th graders with a lecture and discussion on the basics of interior design and color schemes. Then I have them apply thier knowledge on the App. 

The app has the option of creating an account. I do not require this, instead I instruct my students to take screen shots of their designs. When they have created 3 rooms that meet my requirements I have them email me the 3 photos to be graded. 

My instruction page also include steps for this and how to title the subject of the email to make grading easier for me.

I allow them to create any 3 rooms they want even private jets and man caves. For each room they must have: 

  1. -3+ new pieces of furniture
    -At least 2 different new colors
    -A new flooring option
    -3+ new home accessories/appliances (example - a lamp) 

    -3+ new home accents (example – rugs or curtains)

Here are some that my students have done, some do really well....some are having too much fun....(look for the toilets!)





Here is what my assignment looks like for the 7th graders:


Comments

  1. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
    interior design information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect idea of providing information in a better way through free app. All the information will help you to give a new design to your old House Design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome Post!! This content was very helpful for me to build my Home Designs. It explains many elements required for my Home Designs. Thank you!! Keep Sharing!! Nice Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This unique idea of making 3D home design holds a lots of potential in order to design a house before the actual construction...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment