Maslows Hierarchy

I'm a big fan of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, I feel it applies to A LOT of what we teach in Family and Consumer Sciences. 

For my 9th graders I use his work to teach housing and human needs. I show them the triangle and discuss each level in depth. I start with how it relates to human needs and then open the discussion to how it relates to housing needs. 

As a large group we go through each level together with them all helping me fill in the triangle with things we need or might have in our homes for each level. For example (from a recent class discussion):

Physiological- kitchen, bathroom, bed, coffee, food
Safety- a home, alarms, fire extinguisher, safe or lock box
Love- a husband/wife, pets, children, grandparents, family portraits
Esteem- awards/trophies, money, nice things, yummy food
Self-Actalization- fancy house/cars, great relationships, achieved goals

Their assignment after this discussion is create a Maslow's triangle based on their needs.

I let them use any size paper/triangle as a base and then instructed them to cut out pics from magazines or print them from the internet to make their own hierarchy of needs. Check these out:





Comments