Pizza Cook-Off



My 9th graders have an attention span of...well... 9th graders...

This is why I like to give them assignments that are as fast-paced as their attention. When cooking, I have realized labs that require everyone to follow the same boring steps that have to be done really perfectly just doesn’t work for this group (don't make popovers with 9th graders!)

They also like to be competitive and creative! The best way I think is to combine all this in an old-fashioned cook-off. For this lab I had my Exploring FACS class invent a new pizza recipe to be made from scratch with their lab group.

I start this lesson like most of mine with a background lecture on traditional pizza, making, including cultural and nutritional variations with this ppt. I give them 3 days for the lab:

Day 1-  Design pizza and recipes, they must get recipes approved and hand in a grocery list to me by the end of the hour.

Day 2- Prep pizza, most made their doughs, mixed their sauces and prepped their toppings.

Day 3- Cook-off day! I give them half the class period to put their pizza together and the other half is for judging. 




Judging is as follows: One slice is to be delivered to a staff member of their choice in the building (I provided a list of applicable teachers on prep this hour). One slice is graded by the group to their left, and one by me! The evaluations give them a score out of 15 based on the knowledge about traditional pizza making I gave them. Winners get prizes or extra credit and of course bragging rights!

Here are some pics of my lab plans and evaluations for this lab:


Comments

  1. Love it! As a FACS teacher in New York State, I do a variety of these competitions from my 8th graders up through to high school. The kids love it as bragging rights of being the top chef. I've done a huge smoothie competition, chili cook-off, a marinade competion that culminates as a grilling comp., these just name a few. For the first time in a number of years, our food science course will run again so I'm really excited to get back into that venue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment