STEM is just another acronym for Home Economics.




FACS, FCS, STEM, Pro-Start, FCCLA - it's all the same!!!!! 

Here's how I know: we teach all the areas of STEM in our classes and have been for years, it's just a different name and messy way of explaining what we already do. Reminds me of recipes I find on Pinterest....

Science: What does the S in FCS stand for???? I think we often forgot that this a big part of out title, we teach science, all the time! (don't tell my high school science teacher who gave me a D 2 years in a row) "Science in FACS Challenge" is literally the name of a FCCLA Skill event for petes sake!

Technology: I can't think of a single FCS class I teach that does not involve technology, new cool technology directly related to careers and our students futures!

Engineering: This is big in our design classes such as fashion, interiors, and housing. But really if you think about it our kiddos are constantly engineering and designing new things in so much of our course work! FCCLA STAR events come to mind in particular. 

(Art:) Some schools sneak this clever little guy in, this applies to us also! Food art, housing design, fashion design, etc. etc.

Math: Don't get me started on the amount of REAL LIFE MATH we teach in every class! Math in food, housing, textiles, nutrition, personal finances, 


I made the image above and you and use it and if you are as fired up about STEM as me, Learning ZoneXpress has some excellent resources as well: https://www.learningzonexpress.com/t-stem.aspx

Comments

  1. 10 FCS teachers at our school (the entire department) lost our jobs because of STEM. Oh, and our door to the outside made our rooms necessary for the new community school to let the sheriff in to pick up bad kids. 4 years later I am still heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. We all need to promote this NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment