Build Your Dream Home

One of my favorite assignments I do with my 8th grade FACS students is have them draw a pic of their dream home – we spend an entire class period discussing where they want to live, and what their dream home would look like – then they draw it to display in the room!

With my 10th-12th grade Housing and Interior Design class I wanted to do something similar but I have had most of them in 8th grade and did not want to bore them with the same old project – thus the “Build your Dream House” project.

On my class website (Edmodo) I wrote out the project directions (saving paper where I can):

Build your DREAM HOME!
Using the building supplies provided in class (or in the media center if absent today) build a structure to represent your dream home! When you finish:
Take a photo and attach it in response to this message with the following information:
1. Is this a contemporary or classically designed home?
2. How many bedrooms and bathrooms are in this home?
3. Is there a garage? A basement? Both?
4. What other special features does it have? Provide at least 3. (Pool, gym, man-cave, home theatre, etc.)

I laid out “building supplies” on my round tables in the FACS kitchen – I used Legos, Lincoln logs and some other miscellaneous foam and wood blocks, but they really only liked the Legos and Lincoln logs.  I gave them one 47min. class period to build their homes and create their photo response on the class website.


I got a lot of fun feedback from the kids on this and will for sure do it again!








Comments