Say Yes to FCS!!

YES!

I love love love this initiative! Mostly because I love Family and Consumer Sciences!  Through this Say Yes to FCS stuff I have learned some fun lessons to add to my class as a well as plug a commercial for my favorite thing into my classes!

Minnesota FCCLA posted some great lessons that we all need to do!

Here are my faves:

Myth vs. Fact

Just little cards with myths and facts about FCS careers, we just did this as a intro discussion. I posed the questions and they had to shout myth vs. fact for each and I would explain a little more about each.

The website gives you list of the myths and FACS (haha see what I did there) many MN related.. I had a student write them on note cards for me so it was simpler to use in class and at FCCLA events! I found these on the First document on the website - the script.








The Price is Right
Students have to match careers in the FCS field and 4 salary options for each. They had to choose what was the actual salary for each, most were fun and surprising . I printed the "Price is Right" cards on colored paper to coordinate salaries with careers.  I put them in plastic sleeves and used book rings to hook them together. For the activity I had kids hold the options and everyone else had to guess what they thought they would make at each. Great for discussion as well - lesson plan includes information about education needed for each career as well! We also used this to discuss what a comfortable salary amount might be for comparison. 
























Guess the Career
This made me giggle so much! I made them use giant rubber bands to post FCS related careers to their heads. Then they had to guess what each was based on questions they asked their group members. I did an example one for them and strapped the FACS teacher one to my head and pretended like I didn't know what card it was. I asked the whole class "do I work with people? Do I work with food? Etc. until I guessed what was on my head. hahaha!!


















I laminated the cards and bought a big bag of big rubber bands at Wal-Fart for a couple bucks!

Comments