KP Compass - Great for a Sub day!

Ever heard of KP Compass?? If you are a FACS teacher and you teach anything about foods or nutrition this site is a must! 
KP Compass

This online lesson site is like having an extra teacher in the room. On any device with wi-fi access students can learn anything they want to know or you want them to learn about food! 

As the teacher you get to set up the modules you want them to work through and the assignments you want them to complete! 

I used this for a week I had to be gone - and if you have a foods class and had to write sub plans for extended absences you know how stressful this can be! Kp Compass = what a relief! The day before I left I set up my class on the site and told the kids how to log on - use this: KP Compass Student Instructions
I posted those instructions on my class website as well - super helpful!

I think my favorite part is the site does not let the kids slack off - in order to pass they really have to pass the assessments, and the assessments are ever changing to really test their knowledge! You also have “behind the scenes” access to how they answer questions on the assignments to help guide their answers and effort. 

Here is an example of the lesson objectives - this is the module my students did!

I can totally see myself using this for adding more from this site to a lot of my lessons - not just days I am gone!



Here's the site in action - my  students had to look
up an old recipes (we used my old 1950's and 60's cookbooks)
and re-design the recipe to reduce the salt and sugar!

Comments

  1. HI Ashley, I just stumbled across your awesome blog! I am a F&CS teacher in NH. I'm wondering about this program and if your school funded it for your use? It seems worthy of my budget $, but I'd need to look into it further for cost info, etc. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very interesting. What does it cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the influx of technology, it's easy to download an app to your phone for your needs. There are even apps or programs to help you navigate a place, which is cool! When we were just kids, my dad used to teach us compass reading and map reading. There's nothing like learning the best survival methods, isn't it? For more information and learning, why don't you go to this site: http://myoutdoorslife.com/basics/how-to-use-a-compass.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment