How Do You Teach Child Development to Middle School kids?

I love the acronym PIES - Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, and Social Development. Naturally, my students almost always ask me if this means they get to eat pie?! Lol. No. 

With my 8th graders, I use the ppt. attached. This is one a FACS friend of mine made that I have adapted to meet the needs of my little darlings. It takes me about 3 - 40min class periods to get through this lesson and every time I have at least a dozen kids tell me how much fun it was!

I start this lesson with old-school storytelling! I make them all come and sit criss-cross-applesauce on the floor in the front of the room. I read them my favorite childhood story - “Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.” This is fun for them and me! I then tell them that for extra credit they can bring their favorite childhood books over the next 2 days and read theirs to the class as well (I cut them off sometimes if they are a little long). After reading we talk about how the book is significant for young children and what morals they are supposed to gain from it. 

Then I open the ppt. and we discuss why I teach them child development and how this is important to them. While discussing I pass them each a scratch piece of paper and instruct them to write down their top 5 favorite toys, games, or tv shows from their childhood, as far back as they can remember. I then make them choose just one and we round-robin share this with the class. I like to tell them about my childhood favorite - Flight attendant barbie! They love this and often have a hard time just choosing one!


Then we dive into PIES! For each area of PIES, I make them write down the definition and then we focus on ages 3, 4, and 5. (In 7th grade we focus on ages 0-3) for each section. I also include a short funny video clip for each area of PIES to help them remember - I love this one about a girl learning to read for intellectual: Intellectual Video

Other links just in case- 
Physical - This one is also great for discussing the rate of development
Emotional - Just adorable.
Social - Not the original in my ppt- but very cute!

For my hands-on activity, I use the  “A Childs's World” activities. I set up stations on all 7 of my food lab tables. Each station is designed to bring them back to ages 3-5 through various activities that hinder their abilities or remind them of being a kid! Here is the activity sheet I give them:


They usually love all the activities and ask if we can do them again! The most popular are the play-dough and Legos. I keep a tote box of my supplies so it is easy to set up. I got my legos at a thrift store for cheap and they have random off-brand legos mixed in to make it more complicated. I found my hidden image sheet online. I buy random noodles on sale and use old yarn for the macaroni jewelry station. I recommend kids' safety scissors for cutting out shapes - they hate it! I also found my 100-piece puppy puzzle at a thrift store!


Tables before the chaos
Coloring with a non-dominant hand

Cutting with safety scissors
Noodle Necklaces


Play-dough
Hidden Images

Legos!



Comments

  1. Cute! I will use this with my students. Thanks for sharing this awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Thank you so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! As a new teacher this is SO helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The GOOD PUPPY Children's Behavioral & Emotional System provides parents, teachers & therapists, the tools they need to build a healthy structure that helps children thrive. The system is recommended for children, ages 3 to 9." Child Reward Chart. Child Behavior Therapy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment