Hot Dish Cook-Off!

Do you call it a hot-dish, casserole or something else?!
In Minnesota we call it a Hot Dish, and on a cold winter day theres nothing better! 

Kids like to talk about themselves and Minnesotans like to talk about their food! (other states do this too - tell me in the comments your states favorite foods!)

For my MN foods unit I start with a history of MN foods - I found this sweet article about our flour milling history and made this Ppt..of pics to accompany it! I have the kids pop-corn read it as I pause to show them pics of stuff! We live in a pretty small town and a lot of my kids have yet to see everything in the state and enjoy learning what's out there!

In my first year of teaching my Mom would send me random emails with stuff “I should teach” my kids, most of them made me laugh and press but delete, but the “3, 2, 1” Cake caught my attention! After we read, I have them make microwave cake cups and use Pillsbury cake mix to do it! 

While they eat I have them do a little research about Pillsbury on their website using this Pillsbury Worksheet I adapted from an old Learning Zone lesson!

The next couple days we have a old school Hotdish cook-off! 

Day 1: I start with this Ppt. about the basics of creating a casserole (Hot dish to them) and then give them the rest of the class period to create a recipe with their lab group! Here is my lab plan: Cook off Lab Plan

Day 2 is prep/assemble - I have them prep everything they can so the cook-off day goes smoothly. The nice thing about hot dishes is they usually can be assembled in advance and do better when the ingredients can marinate overnight.
*sidebar- I once had a group leave theirs out on the counter and thought it would be safe to just heat up in the oven the next day -nope! But they did get a great life lesson on food safety!

Day 3 is baking and voting. We do voting for this family style. Each group cuts their hot dish into small pieces, serves themselves first, and then announces to the class the name of their dish and tells them to come and get it! After all the dishes have been sampled they can vote for their favorites! 
*sidebar- my favorite hot dish name thus far is “Chicky-Chicky Fry-Fry” for a chicken and french fry dish that was divine!


Trophies are of course awarded! — Thanks to the FACS Teachers FB group for the idea! 

Comments