Gingerbread Houses with Rigor


I LOVE when kids get to learn AND do so with a HANDS ON project!


Sometimes I think we give ourselves a bad reputation by only doing the “Fun Projects” and that's not fair to us and most importantly our students! We can and should be both educational and fun!

When I make Gingerbread homes with my housing class for example, we don't just do it because it is something fun to do. I use this lesson because of the hands on opportunity to learn something!

Here is my rubric and planning page - we spend a class period discussing the architecture styles of some really cool gingerbread homes using this ppt I adapted. Their goal is focus on an architectural style we have discussed in class already to design their home. Planning is also key - I do not let anyone have fun without the work done first :) This template helps!

Here is my tried and true recipe for gingerbread and icing - I also make these at home with my nieces because it really does work great!

Pro tip - Meringue powder is expensive and only available at certain stores/online - INSTEAD buy a box of Angel Food cake mix - the separate bag of Egg White works perfectly and will save you a lot of money and headaches!

Use this opportunity for self promotion - I also make my darlings display their homes and what style they were going for to be voted on by all my other classes!

This Dinosaur now lives in my classroom....

Cereal = Cheap decor!

Roof broke - Now its made of "glass"

Comments